Sweet Pea RisottoWe have at least 10 reasons we love to make this risotto. You may discover even more of your own. Read our post for more info...
Ingredients (serves 4):
5 cups chicken broth
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup petite green peas
3/4 cup sugar snap peas, sliced diagonally into 1/2″ pieces
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt, to taste
- Heat the broth to a simmer in a saucepan. Reduce the heat to keep the broth warm throughout the preparation.
- Over medium heat, in a large skillet heat the olive oil and 3 tablespoons butter until the butter is melted. Add the onion and a sprinkle of salt and cook until the onion is soft and translucent (about 4-5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 – 2 minutes.
- Stirring constantly, add the rice and stir to coat the rice well and and then heat for 2 – 3 minutes. Don’t let the rice brown.
- Add the wine and cook while stirring until the wine is completely absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- While stirring constantly, add one ladle (about 3/4 cup) of the warm broth, and keep stirring until the broth is absorbed. Keep repeating the process. Make sure you wait until the broth is absorbed each time before adding the next ladle of broth. The total cooking time should be about 30 minutes and at the end of it the rice should be cooked but still slightly chewy. You may need additional broth (or water).
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, then the peas and sugar snap peas, and then the parmesan cheese, stirring well after each addition. Add a good dash of salt (or to taste). The risotto should form a soft mound, and not be runny or stiff.
- Serve immediately.
Hostess’ Hint: If you can’t serve the risotto immediately, keep the rice over a low heat and wait to add the parmesan cheese until a few minutes before you’re ready to serve. You probably won’t want to keep it waiting for too long, but it will buy you a little time if you need it.